ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Out of memory problem

Hi,

We are using map suite 5.0 silverlight edition and running into problems when we have many map files loaded onto serverlayeroverlay and being rendered at client side using silverlightmapconnector. Initially it shows the map and when we zoom/pan, it gives "out of memory" message on map control. We checked the memory that the app is taking and is touching almost more than 700 MB. Are all the tiles received from server is maintained in memory? Can you please guide us towards resolving the same?

Thanks & Regards,

-Muneswar

Hi Muneswar, 

In fact we have fixed a memory leak issue on the client side for silverlight edition in version 5.0. 

Could you provide some more information about your environment, like browser version, data size in server side, which process get more than 700 mb and whether you set cache. 

And have you tried only load some small shapefile, then watch whether the memory usage more than what you think. 

Regards, 

Don 

Hi Don,

Thanks for the response. The app size (700 MB) I was talking about is Silverlight appliation (iexplorer.exe is taking almost 700 MB) having map control rendering raster maps of size 40 MB from server. Environment: windows 7, internet explorer 8.0 & 4 GB RAM. The memory consumed by iexplorer.exe shoots up when I pan/zoom and does not come down. After few zoom/pan operations, I see error "out of memory" on the map control. Please refer the screen shot below. I am planning to use CacheMode provided by Silverlight as mentioned at msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...95%29.aspx

Don, 

What does it mean when ‘Out of memory’ is displayed in place of tiles on map?  Is it a server or client memory problem.  When we see this error we have checked the server cache folder and there is plenty of room left on the server disk.  We are using silverlight control version 5.0.0.93. 

Thanks, 
 Nate 

Hello Nate, 

Thanks for your information, the message displayed in tiles is the exception we throw, we have fixed some memory problem in 5.5, could you please update to version 5.5.111.0 or later and have a try? 

Regards, 

Gary