ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Performance Online vs SDK

We purchased the SDK after evaluating based on a prototype using the online version, the assumption being that performance would either improve or stay equivalent with us hosting it locally. Instead, performance is much, much slower when the map renders.

I’m guessing we’re just doing something wrong. We’ve got the sqlite file on a file share so it can be shared across our dev, test and production environments. I’m guessing if it was on a local drive, that would probably help but that’s not an option at present. Is there anything else we should be doing?

Hi Jay,

The World Map Kit Online applies the tile cache. All the tile images have been pre-generated using the MapSuiteTileCacheGenerator in advance, in other words, for the cached image, it just reads the tile images from disk instead of drawing them on the fly. You can download the MapSuiteTileCacheGenrator tool at here, if it’s necessary. The tool is based on the Version 8.0, so if the version 9.0 is used on your side it will get a  error during compiling, you just only change the “Integer” to “Numeric” to make it right.

There are two options to improve the performance.

1. Applying the tile cache to LayerOverlay by  setting the “TileCache” property of overlay to cache the tile locally.

2. Setting the “TileType” of overlay as MultiplyTile to draw tile by multithreading.

More information about “TileCache” at here.

Hope it’s helped.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter. Yes, that was helpful. I was able to get the cache generator tool to generate tiles for me (though I’ve run into a separate issue for which I’ll start a new thread). I’m using the MVC edition, so I had to set the LayerOverlay.ServerCache property, as there was no TileCache property on it.

It is of course quite fast when using the cached images. But it almost seems as if it is slower when it has to go back to drawing on the fly, but maybe that’s just because from the cache is so fast.

Thanks again.

Hi Jay, 

Glad to hear that it works with you. 

Thanks, 
 Peter