ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Performance

Hi,

Is the editor performance similar to the WPF api?

We are current reviewing the availiable api's out there and are currently looking at map suite.

I'm finding the performance a little underwhelming though. Certainly not on par with Arc or QGIS.

Or is the performance down to this being a beta version? Are there any settings to improve the performance, or at least tweek it?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Robert,

Thanks for evaluating our products and welcome to Map Suite discussion forum.

Map Suite GisEditor is created based on WpfEdition product, but we did lots of performance optimization here, also some potential options that we can set to improve the performance further are provided, it can be opened following the steps as following:

• Open “Option” menu item, just like below:

• Switch to “Content” item, change the setting like the picture as below:

Of course, you can change it based on your requirements.  After all these changes, it should be much faster. 

Both of ArcGis and QGIS are based on native C for drawing, technically, it should be a bit faster than a managed application, such as GisEditor, just like there is no way an application written in C will be faster than one written in assembler. GisEditor also did some balance between performance and the user experience, for example, to provide the easy-use API, GisEditor strictly follows the Microsoft Design GuideLine, and to make sure the users can get the error earlier, there are lots of validators in GisEditor as well, all these I guess will cause the GisEditor is not faster than native C.  

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Johnny

Robert, 

To add to that there are a bunch of other rendering performance things we can do with the WPF Edition if we know your scenarios.  With the GIS Editor we had to make it general purpose so that slows things down a bit.  I will say that the way we do tiling makes our system faster the Arc in a number of complex scenarios.  We are mostly slower when the density is low for new areas. 

David