ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

PointShapes created using CreateSimpleStarStyle won't appear on map

I'm using an InMemoryFeatureLayer and adding features based on input from the user.  When I set layer.ZoomLevelSet.ZoomLevel01.DefaultPointStyle to one of the following PointStyles, the symbols will appear:

PointStyles.Capital1;

PointStyles.CreateSimplePointStyle(PointSymbolType.Circle, GeoColor.StandardColors.Red, 10);

PointStyles.CreateSimplePointStyle(PointSymbolType.Triangle, GeoColor.StandardColors.Red, 10);

PointStyles.CreateSimpleTriangleStyle(GeoColor.SimpleColors.BrightRed, 10, GeoColor.SimpleColors.BrightRed);

However, I can't get any star or diamond symbols to appear.  I've tried variations such as the following examples: 

PointStyles.CreateSimplePointStyle(PointSymbolType.Star2, GeoColor.StandardColors.Red, 10);

PointStyles.CreateSimpleStarStyle(GeoColor.StandardColors.Red, 10, GeoColor.StandardColors.Black);

PointStyles.CreateSimpleStarStyle(GeoColor.SimpleColors.BrightRed, 10, GeoColor.SimpleColors.BrightRed);

Is there something else that needs to be done for Star and Diamond symbols to appear?

Chuck, 

We’ve recreated this issue, thank you for reporting it. We have added it to the working schedule of our development team, and we hope to resolve it in next public release(May 1st). 

Sorry for the inconvenience, any updates we will let you know. 

James

Thanks James.  Any ideas for a workaround until the next public release?

Chuck, 

Because Silverlight doesn’t support Multi-language and Fonts very well, these special characters may not be drawn properly on the map. There’s another way of doing this. You can find images with transparent background which have the symbol you want drawn on them, initialize a GeoImage object with the image file, and use this GeoImage to instantiate a PointStyle. 

Further questions please let me know. 

Thank. 

James 

Thanks James.  I'll give it a try.

You’re welcome Chuck, feel free to let us know if you have more questions. 

Hi James,

I'm still having having the same issue with some of the point shapes after upgrading to Silverlight version 5.0.  Do you know if this issue has been resolved?

I'm using a workaround with star images at the moment but need to have the greater color flexibility associated with the simple point shapes.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck, 

I apologize for this problem, it’s a very small bug in silverlight edition, and it has fixed now. You can get the newest version 5.0.12.0 from helpdesk.thinkgeo.com to solve this problem. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

Gary 

I'll check it out. Only 5.0.11.0 builds are currently available, though.  Also, I noticed that the image size is not being set when creating a point shape from an image.  This used to work in version 4.5.  Has this bug also been fixed?

Chuck, 

You can get the 5.0.12.0 today, if you still have that problem, please tell me. 

And sorry for your second question, I’m not really understand what’s your meaning. We can’t creating a PointShape with an image, you can using WKT,WKB or vertex but not image. Or did you mean creating a PointStyle? If so,  You didn’t need to set an image size when you creating a PointStyle. 

Any more questions please feel free to let me know. 

Thanks, 

Gary 

Sorry for the confusion - I meant PointStyle.  We are creating PointStyles based on GeoImages.

We currently allow the user to set the image size for the points displayed on a map (e.g., range from 5 to 30 pixels).  That worked fine in version 4.5.  In version 5.0 the image appears at its native size regardless of the height and width values we pass into the constructor for GeoImage.

Chuck, 

You are right, I had tested 4.5 and 5.0, it didn’t work in the 5.0 when you set the image size, I will figure out what’s the problem and let you know. 

For now, you can creating a pointstyle by using a PointSymbolType, and you can set the symbol size to control the point’s height and width. 

Let me know if you have more comments. 

Thanks, 

Gary

Unfortunately we cannot use the PointSymbolType because in addition to our current workaround for Star symbols (using image) we also have other images being used for which there are no equivalent PointSymbolTypes.  We've rolled back our app to version 4.5 pending correction of the PointStyle bug (which unfortunately is re-exposing another old bug). 

Chuck, 

I’m sorry to put you in trouble, this issue have assigned to product team and we will try our best to make sure you can enjoy the new version as soon as possible.  

Thanks, 

Gary 

Chuck, 

Thanks for your waiting, the bug have fixed and you can download the newest version 5.0.14.0 to resolve it. 

Thanks, 

Gary 

Thanks Gary.  We tested build 5.0.17.0 and observed that the star and diamond PointSymbolTypes now render correctly but (1) the cross symbol still does not appear and (2) we’re unable to control the size of the images rendered using GeoImages.  For the latter issue, we’re using code similar to the following example: 

string uri = “/Theme/redapple.png”; 
 PointStyle pointStyle = new PointStyle(new GeoImage(new Uri(uri, UriKind.Relative), 15, 15); // display image with 15x15 pixel dimensions 

This approach worked in version 4.5.  Now, regardless of the dimensions passed into the constructor the images are being displayed at their original size.

Chuck, 

Thanks for your post. 

If you want to use the cross symbol, you need set the ‘symbol pen’, please see the code below: 

PointStyle bitmapPointStyle = new PointStyle(PointSymbolType.Cross, new GeoSolidBrush(GeoColor.SimpleColors.Red), new GeoPen(GeoColor.SimpleColors.Blue), 10); 

And about the image size, I will get our product team’s response and tell you the reason. I’m appreciate for your patience. 

Thanks, 

Gary

Chuck, 

Could you please get the version 5.0.19.0? The image size problem have completely fixed. 

Thanks, 

Gary