ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Problem with Data Join Wizard and Class Break Style

I am using the GIS Editor. 

I joined a CSV file with 2 fields (zip code, sales dollars) to a polygon layer of zip codes.

I then attempted to add a class break style to the resulting layer based upon the sales dollar field.

I received the following error message:

Warning:  This column does not contain data suitable for class breaks, Please choose a different column that contains only numeric data.

I created my CSV file in Excel and have attempted to format the sales dollars as both numbers and currency, but still cannot get the GIS Editor to recognize the field as numeric.

1)  What am I doing wrong?

2)  Is there a way to change the format of a field once it has been attached to a layer?

3)  I learned GIS on ESRI’s ArcView and really miss that you do not link up with Excel and Access.  Is this something you will be adding in the future?

Thanks

Hi Gregg, 

Data Join function currently support link your data and layer, but it don’t support calculate the data like total sales after link. Our developer think it’s a good idea and we will implement that in future. 

But class break style cannot shows correct because after data join, the data should be converted to string, so you get the warning to ask for only numeric data. Why we did that because if our layer link to different data source, our main purpose is view same column data from different source. 

We did some discuss about your requirement and think it won’t works by UI in current version, but if in code we can do more thing. 

Our developer want to know more about your progress, could you have more detail description about that? We want to make sure you have what data source, how to deal with them and show what as the result. So we can provider better suggestion for that. 

Regards, 

Don