ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Problems with opening some shape files

Hello to all

It's nice to be in this forum and very nice to work with the Map Suite Silverlight Edition 3.0 :)

However I am having an issue with some shapefiles that I already have. They were created by using ArcGIS. If I try the example that comes with attachment to the evaluation version, it does not show me the data of the shapefiles. Meanwhile if I try the testing shapefiles that are embedded in the example (e.g., cntry02.shp) the project works OK. I don't know where the problem might be, but however I need to work on the shapefiles that we have.

I am attaching the shapefiles I have so someone kindly might try to embed those in another project and see if they work with Map Suite Silverlight Edition projects.

Thanks for any answer and forgive me if my terminology might not be right, but I am quite new to the concepts of GIS and SilverLight

1334-Godina.zip (55 KB)

Hi Ermond,

Your shape file loads fine on the Map Suite Explorer (please see attached screenshot). You might need to post your code for further inspection. Are you trying to load the map data on the client side or the server side?

Cheers,

Nirish

Ermond,

I have the same question as Nirish asked. You can find more detail steps to use the shape files on both client side and server side in our quick start which you can find at:

gis.thinkgeo.com/Support/Dis...fault.aspx

Just let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks for your reply, Nirish.

Thanks,

Howard

Hi Thanks to both Nirish and Howard for your answers. I am trying to load the map data on the server side. The code with which I am trying to load the data is this:

public partial class _Default : System.Web.UI.Page
    {
        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (!Page.IsPostBack)
            {
                SilverlightMapConnector1.MapUnit = GeographyUnit.Meter;

ShapeFileFeatureLayer godinaLayer = new ShapeFileFeatureLayer(MapPath("~/app_data/godina.shp"));

godinaLayer.ZoomLevelSet.ZoomLevel01.DefaultAreaStyle = AreaStyles.CreateSimpleAreaStyle(GeoColor.FromArgb(255, 243, 239, 228), GeoColor.FromArgb(255, 218, 193, 163), 1);
                godinaLayer.ZoomLevelSet.ZoomLevel01.ApplyUntilZoomLevel = ApplyUntilZoomLevel.Level20;
                ServerLayerOverlay layerOverlay = new ServerLayerOverlay("NativeServer");
                layerOverlay.Layers.Add(godinaLayer);

SilverlightMapConnector1.ServerLayerOverlays.Add(layerOverlay);
            }
        }
    }

@Nirish: You said that the shape file loads fine and said to refer at the attachment, but I think you forgot to attach the image. Can you please attach it?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Cheers

One more thing, the Coordinate system of the .shp file is metric and the projection is Gaus-Krueger (At least that's what I have been told)

Cheers

Thanks to all but now I think I found the problem. I had to convert the projection from Gaus-Krueger (2462 - Albanian 1987 / Gauss-Kruger zone 4) to 4326 - WGS84. And now everything seems to be OK. 
 Cheers

Ermond, 

Good hear that you fixed your issue. Just some conclusion: if your map is in meter, we need to set the MapUnit to meter on the client side, and project the layers on the server side if there are not in meter. 

Please let me know if you have anymore questions. 

Thanks, 
 Howard