ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Querying SQL Server 2008 GEOGRAPHY table

Has anyone had any luck in querying a SQL Server 2008 table that has a GEOGRAPHY column?  -  Not a GEOMETRY column, a GEOGRAPHY one.   

When I set myDataSource, myInitialCatalog, myUserID, and myPassword all  to correct values and attempt to open a SQL Server 2008 Geography layer with the following commands

Dim connectString As String = "Data Source=" & myDataSource & _

";Initial Catalog=" & myInitialCatalog & _

";Persist Security Info=True;User ID=" & myUserID & ";Password=" & myPassword & ";"

'test to make sure my connect string is OK

Dim sqlConnection As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection(connectString)

sqlConnection.Open()

If sqlConnection.State <> ConnectionState.Open Then

Exit Sub

End If

sqlConnection.Close()

'try to open a layer

Dim sql2008Layer As MsSql2008FeatureLayer = New MsSql2008FeatureLayer(connectString, "gis.State", "OBJECTID")

sql2008Layer.Open()

I keep getting the exception "Can not find the geometry column." from the sql2008Layer.Open call.   I do not have a geometry column in this table, I have a GEOGRAPHY one. I get the same exception if I send in an invalid table name such as "whopper.withcheese" to the call to MsSql2008FeatureLayer, so perhaps the call actually does work and I have an incorrect value somewhere...

I've been told by ThinkGeo support that the GEOGRAPHY type has been supported since 3.0.96.  Has anyone been successful in querying such a layer, and if so are there any tricks one needs to do to get it to work?

Below is a screenshot of my gis.State table taken from SQL Server Management Studio, so I don't think I've mistyped the tablename or featureid column parameters in the call to create the layer...

John, 

Thanks for your reporting. 

This is definitely a bug and we have fixed it, it should be available in next release. Sorry for the inconvenience now. 

Any more questions just feel free to let me know. 
 Thanks. 

Yale 

John, 

This fix has been put in place for the Geography column.  You can contact support@thinkgeo.com and ask for Services Edition build 418. 

David