ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Questions re Open/Close and Ranking

I have a couple of questions about the Geocoder (using 4.4.40):

1. I am creating a batch geocoder that will likely need to match 20,000 to 50,000 addresses in a run.  Is it better to open and close the geocoder files once or with each match attempt?

2.  Many of the zip codes in my data are wrong.  How can I decrease the RankingMultiplier of the Zipcode Matching Plugin?  Is there a way to access it via the MatchingPlugins collection (other than looping and testing type)?

Thanks

Tim, 

Thanks for your post, 

About your first question, I suggest you to open and close the geocoder object only once, you can open it before execute the batch geocode operation and close it after the batch geocode operation finished. 

About your second question, I have to answer it one by one, about the RankingMultiplier of ZipCode MatchingPlugin, you can access the RankingMultiplier property to decrease the value for Zipcode MatchingPlugin. Your another question, there is a property that names MatchingPlugIns in the usaGeocoder object, you can access it according to this code:  

usaGeocoder.MatchingPlugIns; 

Then you can loop through it to access every plugins in the usaGeocoder object, 

That’s all my answers for you, if you still have any other questions please let me know, 

Thanks, 

Scott,

Thanks for the info.  As a follow-up, it it possible/advisable to have multiple geocoding processes running against the same set of dbf files?  Can 2 or more geocoder objects open the same set of files at the same time?

Tim, 

It is safe to have multiple copies of the geocoder running.  Each copy will open the file in read only mode so there should not be a problem.  Of course allot of the time for geocoding is disk seek and transfer time so if you have multiple disks it would help to copy the data to them and target each thread to a different disk.  I am not sure about the version you have as the latest version is 4.0.114.0 (dev) and 4.0.40.74 (release).  I suggest you try and get the latest dev build from the daily builds area in the custom portal.  About three or four weeks ago we added some in memory caching and it sped up the geocoding by about 20-30%. 

David

Will do.  Thanks for the help

You are always welcome, Tim.