ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Replace SilverlightMapConnector

When using the Silverlight Edition with ShapeFiles, the SilverlightMapConnector is necessary to serve map images up to the Silverlight client. Unfortunately, the SilverlightMapConnector is an ASP control. This forces us to tightly couple our Silverlight application with ASP. It has become a requirement for us to decouple our Silverlight solution from our ASP backend. 

How can we supplant the SilverlightMapConnector with something else to serve up map images to the Silverlight application while still using ShapeFiles? Our customers are not yet ready to move to a WMS so we need something that is not implemented in ASP yet can still access shape files.

Is there some kind of independent web service or the like which can be used to serve up images instead of the SilverlightMapConnector?

Chirstian, 

I think you can set up a WCF or webservice project to create a wms server for producing images with MapSuiteCore assembly, then show the map using WmsOverlay in SilverlightEdition without SilverlightMapConnector.That will be a pure Silverlight project whose host can be a html page or somthing else.  

Any question please let me know, thanks. 

Johnny

Johnny, 

OK. That sounds great. Is there an example somewhere? 

Christian

Christian,

Please refer to the sample.

Thanks,

Johnny

1898-RequireDataFromServerUsingWcf.zip (29.8 KB)

Interesting.

I can see what you are recommending, but obviously that would be too hard. If I were going to do that, I would download an exising WMS. 

What I am asking is does ThinkGeo have something like this which is ready to go? Is ThinkGeo planning on building something like this to replace the SilverlightMapConnector?

Christian, 

Yes, we have developed a new small product named "WMS Server", which will make us build the wms server easily. It will be released in early of April. Please keep an eye on our website, and then you can use the silverlightEdition like the attached sample. 

Thanks, 

Johnny

Excellent. Thanks.

---

Is it free with the Silverlight Edition?

Christian,

Now, it's hard to say. I think it will be a purchased one.

Thanks,

Johnny

I just wanted to re-open this thread with a question. 

Why doesn’t ThinkGeo just slightly redesign the SilverlightMapConnector control so that it is not necessary to replace the functionality of the ASP Silverlight control? 

This is a very technical question so please refer it to the programmers.  

-The SilverlightMapConnector control is an ASP control which is very similar to the ASP Silverlight control. 
 -It’s primary job is to serve images up to the ThinkGeo Map control in Silverlight 
 -The SilverlightMapConnector control doesn’t need to know anything about Silverlight to achieve this. So why was it designed to be tightly coupled in the way that it is? If every software vendor took this approach, it would be a huge problem because you could not have two controls on the screen from two different vendors. 

We NEED to get rid of ASP but we are tied to ASP until this problem is fixed. We do not want to move to a WMS system because some of our customers will not allow this.

Christian, 

I agree that the Silverlight Edition control should have no relationship with SilverlightConnector, which just a kind of server that provide images to Silverlight control.  We are very sorry but need to say that it is a history issue coming from Silverlight 2.0 about license. I have submitted this issue to our manager again, and we will discuss it and try to give a solution ASAP. 

Thanks for your advice, which do give us much helps. 

Johnny 

Johhny,

Thankyou very much. 

I just want to clarify one thing. The SilverlightMapConnector control can reman an ASP control. It's just that we need to decouple ASP and Silverlight so that we don't need to run our Silverlight app from inside ASP.

We will wait for any information on this.

Thanks

Christian, 

I will leave this thread open untill the issue is solved. 

Thanks, 

Johnny

Johnny,

What is the progress on this issue? Are we now able to access shape files from Silverlight without having to have our whole application tied to ASP?

To reiterate the problem:

• We have a requirement to decouple our Silverlight application from Silverlight

•     
  • At the moment we can not achieve this because the current SilverlightMapConnecter forces us to tightly couple our Silvelight application with the ASP SilverlightMapConnector

The solution we need:

• A way to serve up rendered GIS images from ShapeFiles to Silverlight which does not require ASP or

•     
  • A change to the SilverlightMapConnecter which allows us to point any Silverlight application at the ASP url (as opposed to the Silverlight application being launched from the ASP page - this is not the recommended approach by Microsoft).

Please give us an update on your progress.

Christian

Christian,
We released the version 4.5.0.0, but still unable to work without SilverlightConnector, but another product WMSServerEdition allows us to build a GIS image server to Silverlight. In other words, it can render the images using ShapeFile and serve as an images server to Silverlight application, but the limitation is that the Silverlight application still be hosted by a SilverlightConnector. The problem is still in our list and we also have a discussion about it and changing the license strategy, but that’s a big change, which is a little different BingMapsSilverlightControl, the new license also needs to control the server rendering instead of the client rendering only. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Please get the details about WMSServerEdition from gis.thinkgeo.com/Products/GI...fault.aspx .
Thanks,
Johnny