ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Roadmap question Xamarin, .net MAUI

Good Morning ThinkGeo.

I guess all your Xamarin clients will have the same question in mind.

What is your progress with the .NET6/.NET MAUI work?

I am in no rush to move my Xamarin Apps to MAUI this week … the MS tooling is still in preview. :slight_smile:

Just looking for a feeling on your progress/schedule so I can feed it into my own planning.

Regards
Chris …

Hey @Chris_Marassovich1,

Oh, yes, MAUI is on a lot of people’s minds right now.

So, we’ve been testing MAUI in the background with pretty much every preview version that Microsoft releases. And just about every time, we run into issues that makes us take a step back and wait for it to mature a little bit more. We’ve had issues with certain platforms not working at all, some changes in the current preview would break from the previous preview, or the documentation would just be really old or not there at all.

Suffice to say, MAUI’s development has been rough. That said, the most recent preview is looking more stable and we are hoping to begin development on a MAUI control for ThinkGeo within the coming months and have it ready sometime after .NET 7 releases in November. I’d say early 2023 is what we are targeting, although we hope to have it out sooner than that.

Thanks,
Kyle

Thanks @Kyle_Day for the response.

After I posted this question I headed on over to the MAUI GitHub repo to see what issues other folks were having … I must admit I was a little shocked and surprised. Your term “rough” is quite accurate.
I see folks reporting the IsVisible property is not working at all, binding updates not working and the dreaded works in Debug build but crashes immediately on Release build … to quote a sample of just a few. These were reported against the latest MAUI release.

I wish you the most enjoyable process moving to MAUI. I will not look again at a MAUI migration for my apps till 2023.

Regards
Chris …

Hey @Chris_Marassovich1,

Haha, that sounds about right. It’s an absolute roller coaster because the concept of MAUI is completely exciting and a welcome option away from Electron apps (no shade to them). I know once it’s ready it’ll be good, but until then we are being cautious on spending development time on something that is clearly not ready for primetime yet.

Once we have something in the pipeline, I’m sure you’ll hear about it because it’s going to be our first new target platform in quite awhile.

Thanks,
Kyle

A year has past. Is there any new information on a MAUI version/direction?

Thanks,
John

Hi @John5 ,

We’ve made good progress on MAUI this year and we feel like Microsoft’s direction and tooling are starting to mature.

We are planning a beta release in December. We will make sure to add you to our release newsletter once it’s ready for preview.

Thanks,
John

Thanks for the info. That fits our timeline as well.

Glad to know there are projects starting up with MAUI. We’re excited for the upcoming beta.

Hi,

Any update on the MAUI release timeline?

Thanks

Hi Robert,

We are planning to have our beta release of the MAUI component in early February and the final release in April.

If you fill out the form below, we’ll make sure to notify you when the beta is released:

Thanks,
John