ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Routing sample using rtg data hosted on Sever/WMS

Hi ThinkGeo,

Do you have a Routing code sample (Desktop) consuming routing data hosted on Sever/WMS? Do you need to generate .rtg file or some other data to host on a server?

Regards,

Anil

Hi Anil,
Yes, the Routing engine needs the .rtg file to create the road network. I’m sorry that I’m unable to get youabout “sample consuming routing data hosted on Server/Wms”, do you mean the routing data, such as “.shp”, “.rtg”, “.dbf” etc. are hosted on a server machine,  and then create the instance of RtgRoutingSource like this:
RtgRoutingSrouce source = new RtgRoutingSrouce(“server.com/Austin.shp”);

In other words, do you want to use the network file path? Maybe it’s impossible. Maybe I didn’t understand you, can you clarify the scenario?

Thanks,

Johnny

Hi Johnny, 

Let me clarify my scenario: 

I have WPF client making use of World Map data generated from WMS server for the map layer. I will like the Routing data to be the server side so that it can be consumed by  WPF clients to generate detailed route. What is best approach to make use of the Routing extension in this case? 

Is it possible to  define a Web service/ WCF service (encapsulating RoutingEngine call) that can be invoked from WPF client or is there a better approach may be like using a invisible layer holding Routing data. 

Regards, 
 Anil

Anil,

That’s a great idea, I think.  It will be a routing service, which accepts the parameters from client and response the route. Maybe the installation Routing “Silverlight How Do I” sample is helpful to you. To make the Routing engine work with Silverlight, we use WCF service on server side to calculate the route based on parameters, such as “Start Point”, “End Point” etc. And response the “WKT” of final route to Silverlight client side to draw the route. I think your requirement is very similar to the samples.

Any questions please let us know. Thanks,
Johnny