ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Scale Line Adornment Incorrect for Map in Feet

Hi,

When I set the distance unit and geographic units of the map to feet, the ScaleLineAdornment is incorrect. It looks as if it thinks everything is in meters. The image here shows the edge of a box that is roughly 80,000 feet long. The graticule that I have added confirms the 80,000 feet; however, you can see the scale line looks to be many more kilometers.

Regards,
Damian

Hi Damian,

I tried to recreate your issue and was unsuccessful. Do you have a sample .sln that you can upload here or on helpdesk.thinkgeo.com?

Thanks,
John

Okay, here is a test project.

Lines 38 and 39 produce an incorrect scale line when map and projection are in feet.

Lines 42 and 43 produce a correct scale line when map and projection are in meters.

Regards,
Damian

ScaleLineIssue.zip (45.0 KB)

Hi Damian,

Thanks for the sample it clearly demonstrates the issue. I’m surprised this bug has not been reported in the past, but I don’t think there’s a lot of uses using a Geography Unit of Feet with the Scale Line.

I noticed your sample is in v10 of MapSuite. We don’t typically maintain this old of a version. Is it possible for you to upgrade your application to ThinkGeo v13, and if the issue is still present, we can easily get a patch in the daily builds.

Thanks,
John

John,

I’m sorry, but an upgrade is not possible. As you know, the architecture between the two versions is dramatically different and would require a large scale effort to migrate along with a significant effort to script changes to our user’s saved files to accommodate name changes to the libraries and various other structural differences. Additionally, when I did some testing of version 12, there were bugs that weren’t in version 10 which were mission critical for us.

I speak of experience having gone through the migration from version 9 to 10… It was a massive pain. Having our users lose data due to migration isn’t an option for us.

I have been using v10 for several years now and have never once been informed of any requirement to migrate or any discontinuation of support for 10. I also have not heard of v13. Does this supersede v12 or is it the development release of v12?

Please make the necessary fix to version 10 and let me know when the lib is ready.

In the longer term, we will look at a migration, but I will need to speak with someone in sales as to future plans to coordinate…

Thanks,
Damian

Hi Damian,

I talked to our product team and we think we can put this fix into the v10 daily build. But we’re working hard to get 13.1 released next week so it may be after that before we a new v10 build out.

Thanks,
John

Hi Damian,

I just fixed it in v10 and built a new beta version for you ( ThinkGeo.MapSuite.Layers.Adornments 11.0.0-beta022), now you can see the 5000 * 5000 red rectangle matches the scaleline perfectly. I also tested ScaleBar and it is correct.

I’m really sorry about your experience with the v9 to v10 upgrade. We tried something new in v10, unified the mobile and desktop code through PCL and put everything into Nuget. It turns out PCL wasn’t the right way to go and we ended up splitting it into way too many packages. So in v12, we took a step back and released much fewer packages, and use.NET Core instead. If I could do it over again, I would have skipped v10 entirely and waited for .Net Core to release, then jumped straight to v12.

Anyway, let us know if you see any issues in the new beta build. If not, we can build a release version.

Thanks,
Ben

Many thanks Ben. I confirm it’s working.

The reduction in packages is a good reason to migrate to v13. The increase in packages in v10 was the real reason we had such a headache migrating. Going the other way should be easier. Still, I anticipate several months before we have everything in place to make it happen.

Regards,
Damian

Hi Damian,

The following new release packages are available online, please have a try.

• ThinkGeo.MapSuite 10.6.25
  • ThinkGeo.MapSuite.Layers.Adornments 10.6.6
  • ThinkGeo.MapSuite.Layers.Printers 10.6.19

And just FYI, the same issue has been fixed in v13 as well, one less thing to worry about when you do the upgrade. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Ben