ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Select and Move Multiple Features

Hi,

I read the following post from 2010, "How to select multiple features on a layer?".  I would also like to be able to group and drag/rotate mutliple selected features to new locations as opposed to one at a time.

Currently, my code creates a bounding box for all features and then I allow the user to drag the bounding box around.  Once they commit, the features are moved to the new location using offsets from the original bounding box position.  It's better than nothing, but not ideal since the users typically want to align the features to landmarks and not the bounding box.

Is this feature still being considered and if so when may we expect it is released.

Thanks,

Damian

Damian,

From reading your description, it sounds like this is definitely something we can do. We have a very extensible InteractiveOverlay class that allows the programmer to create editing capabilities at a very fine level. As you can see, we already have a lot of different examples on how InteractiveOverlay can be extended in the section "InteractiveOverlays" section of the Code Community. wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/Map_Suite_De...ys_Samples

For your specific case, I am not exactely sure by what you mean by "the users typically want to align the features to landmarks". Are you talking about having the feature snapping to some other features? If, yes, we have many examples on that in the link above. I suggest, you look at the different samples and tell me to which one your case resembles the most. It would also help if you could give a concrete example of how this would apply. And I am pretty confident we can find the real adequate solution you are looking for. Thank you.

Hi Val,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What I am looking for is a way to group objects (polygons, lines, points) as one object and then to collectively move/rotate the group and have each object visible during the move/rotation process.  It's important for them to see all the objects being dragged as they are typically aligned relative to other unselected objects or "landmarks" on the map.

I've looked through the samples and unless I missed it, there isn't some code sample like this.  They all deal with managing single objects or their control points.  I am fairly comfortable now with snapping, so that's not an issue.

Right now, I am able to select multiple objects using a bounding box.  But in order to show all objects to the user while they are dragging or rotating the bounding box, I must use a timer control and redraw periodically using the edit layer shape of the bounding box.  It's not very efficient like this. 

Furthermore, the users have requested the ability to keep the objects grouped even when not moving/rotating them.  It's similar to how PowerPoint works.  Although I could create some complicated process managing collections of features, I would rather have some kind of grouping method in Map Suite to manage this for me and to optimize it for speed.

Regards,

Damian 

Damian,

Thank you for your reply. I have now a clearer idea on what you are trying to accomplish. In the description you gave, I identified some pretty specifics tasks that you need such as:

-Select various objects as a group.

-Select various objects of different types (point, line and polygon types).

-Collectively move and rotate the group.

-Interaction with object similar to PowerPoint.

There are other requirements that would need to be defined.

Judging by the scope of the requirements, I think that this would have to be treated as Professional Services. We have done in the Wpf edition some of the tasks you are describing as you can see in the attached movie. But this is a small part of the overall requirements you have.

I suggest, you contact Moritz Wolffer MoritzWolffer@thinkgeo.com from Professional Services and give him a detailed description of the requirements you have for your project. He will be very happy to guide you and I will keep following your case under this program. Thank you for your interest.

See attached movie for proof of concept.

001_demo.zip (277 KB)

Hi Val, 

Thanks for the reply.  Okay, I’ll talk to Moritz. 

Regards, 
 Damian

Damian,

Thank you. I believe that Moritz handled the situation for you in professional services. Do not hesitate to use the Discussion Forum for any other questions.