ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Server Configuration

hi @Ethan , I just want to know about IIS server configuration . In our local development system zoom in and panning is working very well with almost 40 overlays but after deployment it’s performance is not acceptable.
So, what is the solution for better performance ? I know internet speed is also a reason of slow performance.
What is your opinion to improve ?

Hi Bibek,

It is crazy that you have almost overlays. I guess it is the root cause for your performance issue. The best practice is that you should use layers to instead overlays. In the most of scenarios, 2-5 overlays is enough, for example, you can consider design your overlays like below:

1. One overlay display black layers;
  2. One overlay display highlight/updating layers;
  3. One overlay used to process interaction layers.

If you need any more information, please let us know that.

Thanks
Mark

@Mark_Lee Thanks for your suggestion .We will apply that one. can you suggest best IIS configuration for getting max performance?

Hi Bibek,

That’s big/good topic. :smile:
I don’t think I can guide you do any specific changes on your server configuration in this post. But any ways, I will give you some useful information (I guess) for you. You can refer below:

1. Here is one document for IIS7.5, you can refer that if can apply in you IIS:
    https://securitywing.com/8-effective-ways-to-improve-iis-7-5-performance/

2. Here are some tips for ASP.NET project on IIS:
    https://www.infragistics.com/community/blogs/b/devtoolsguy/posts/12-tips-to-increase-the-performance-of-asp-net-application-drastically-part-1

3. Beside on IIS, you can think about if there is any missing for your Project, here is guide:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/msp-n-p/ff647787(v=pandp.10)

From my personal experience, to improve the performance, you can think about below items (not only IIS setting):

1. Improve the project coding, make sure that recalling high performance;
    a. Using Caches as many as you can;
    b. Find out the bottle neck for you performance, and then refine/redesign the code;
    c. Log all the timespan to all steps from request in to request out, reduce all the unnecessary logic, like duplicate/meaningless Logging, Exception, Validating, etc.

2. Improve the server machine hard ware, more CPUs/Memory, etc;

3. Use ASYNC programing, make sure all the request won’t be blocking;

4. Pre-define/Pre-build the long term task value, and the value is no need to update per request, all the request can use same data;

If you have any thoughts, please feel free let us know that.

Thanks
Mark

@Mark_Lee What’s is your suggestion on this “Improve the server machine hard ware, more CPUs/Memory, etc;” ?
Currently we have 16 GB ram in the server.

Hi Bibek,

Mark means you should want to use a better hardware for get better performance, if your hardware is enough good you can just ignore that item.

In fact we don’t have more suggestion on IIS setting, because our map don’t need support from special feature of IIS.

If the performance in IIS is not acceptable, I think find where is the bottleneck is important, maybe you want to look for some 3rd part utilities for monitor IIS performance.

Regards,

Ethan

Hello @Ethan , Right Now our Major issue is CPU Usage in server is High, With one WMTS layer overlay cpu usage of server is getting 20% when 5 users opened the url .
We tried and remove overlays and session variables still cpu usage is not getting down.
Any Suggestion from your side

Hi Bibek,

Just like Mark mentioned: Using Caches as many as you can.

If you are using cache, when user request tile image, the only work is find the image on disk and sent it back to client side.

If you don’t open cache, the map control will render the image from data, which take many source of your machine include CPU and memory.

So I think open cache for your server side is helpful for performance.

Regards,

Ethan