ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Server Side Cacheing in WMS Sample

Hi,

I'm using your WMS Server Sample app that comes along with the services edition and it's working great, however I would like to implement Server Side Cacheing in my WMS Server to increase performance but I'm not sure what API's or object to use to accomplish this in the Services edition, can you help?

Thanks!

Clint,

Thanks for your post!

In our Desktop Edition and Web Edition, we have automatically caching system and those cached systems are based on Overlays.

But In service edition, we have no such “Overlay” object, so it has not provide Cache system yet. However, we are trying to expose some useful classes in service edition to create customized cached system recently. With these classes, you can do your own cache system very easily.

For example, if you want to implement the WMS server side caching system, we provided a couple of ways to implements this:

For example, one way is:
1)      Write a CachedShapeFileLayer inherits from ShapeFileLayer based on those helper classes(Include the Grid logic, tile manager object etc).

In this class, before drawing, we will checked the tiles with in the target extent are already cached, if it is, then we will get it directly instead of drawing.

2)      Use the CachedShapeFileLayer instead of ShapeFileLayer in the server side of WMS.

Besides, it will be very appreciate if you can let me know what you want to do is a given 20-scale WMS server cache system or infinite number scale WMS server cache system.

If you have any more questions, just let me know.
Thanks.

Yale.

Yale, 

Thanks for the responsek, I fine with a 20-scale WMS soution.  It does not need to be an infinite number of scales.  I tried to find the helper classes you talked about but I couldn’t find any.  Is there any way you could provide a sample based on the WMS Sample that comes with the services edition that shows how to to your suggestions?  Also I’m not using shapefiles, I’m actually using raster imagery so I don’t think inheriting from the ShapefileFeatureLayer will work. 

Thanks!

Clint, 

Thanks for your reply.   

20-scale WMS is absolutely easy than an infinite-scale one. The helper classes is still on the way of development, but it is near the end.  

After that ,we will full tested it. I think we will include it in next public release.  

We will try to create a simple sample of how to use it to create a cached WMS and I will let you know then. 

Yale.