ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Services Edition WCF Web Service

Hi,

I'd like to use the services edition in a WCF web service to deliver a combined Google / Virtual Earth map along with our own shape data to our client applications. I'd like to set these up in a similar way to our you set up your sample web service for version 2.0. So we'd have the web service using the services edition delivering maps to our client consumer which would have the web edition running.

So my questions are. Can we do this in the same way with version 3.1? If so how would this work with your new UI controls? We'd like to use the UI controls such as the zoom bar, pan controls, shape creation and editing in particular. So all these would work on the web edition version and send the result up to the service etc.

Is this likely to work in this way? Is all this possible?

Finally are you expecting to do a sample for this kind of thing (I'd have thought a lot of people would want to do this now for scalability etc. If not any can you give me any guidelines to creating our own prototype doing this? Obviosuly we'd also need you to add in the Virtual Earth support in the services edition - which I'm hoping is very soon?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi, Any thoughts on this and how we could do this - I need to get a document together (this week) of what options we have to deliver this type of solution. 

Thanks, 
 Andy

Andrew, 

Working up an answer…  

David

Andy, 

I am not sure I covered this with you but our web edition already has seamless integration with Google Maps and Virtual Earth.  The web edition includes the JavaScript API directly from those vendors.  What you would want to do is maybe write a WMS web service to serve out images of your own data.   

You will create a separate project called a WMS web service, I think we include a sample of this in the Service Edition.  The purpose it is to create images based on requests from clients to a web page.  Like I said I think we have a sample of this.  If we don’t then I think I could drum one up from around here. 

You can then consume this request in the Web Edition with a WmsOverlay.  With the WMS server you can load balance as many of them as you want since they are pretty much stateless as the request comes over the URL.  Since you are consuming this in the Web Edition you get all of the cool UI controls as well. 

Currently I am behind on posts and reinforcements won’t arrive until next week so I wont have time until next week to do a sample.  One option is to call the sales people and you can setup a tech call and walk through all of this over the phone with someone that might be able to help you better than through the forum. 

David