ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Shapefile does not display on map

I am suspecting this has to do with my shapefile itself but wanted to check-in with guys here to see if there is a way I can validate my shapefile and its projection.

I have other shapefiles which are being rendered just fine.

Using MapSuite WPF v10.0.

The external projection is:
+proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +wktext +no_defs

One of the internal projections for the non-visible shapefiles:

+proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=-64.5 +k=0.9999 +x_0=25500000 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80 +units=m +no_defs

Meawhile one of the internal projections for the visible shapefiles is:
+proj=sterea +lat_0=46.5 +lon_0=-66.5 +x_0=2500000 +y_0=7500000 +ellps=GRS80 +units=m +no_defs

Any shapefile exports on here with some insights before I go digging?

Hi Klaus,

It looks you want to render your shape file on image but cannot find it on map, and you think that’s because you don’t know the projection.

The shape file don’t contains projection information, it should have a .prj file describe that, which means you cannot find what’s the projection is from the file itself.

So when you missed the prj file and don’t remember which projection it should be, we suggest you contact your data provider to get the exact information at first.

If you want to find that yourself, you should want to render it and compare to a known projection layer for example use GoogleMap as background layer(we know its projection is epsg 3857), if the shapes match they should be the same projection.

I hope that’s helpful.

Regards,

Ethan

Ethan,

Thanks for the response. I do have a projection file associated with the shapefile. The projection information I posted is from the shapefile’s .prj file.

Hi Klaus,

If you have a prj file, and you know it’s correct, I think maybe that’s not a projection problem. The other possible reason is your test code have some issue. I am not sure about it.

If possible, could you please upload a simple sample with the data to show us the issue, our developer can look into it and let you know the reason we found.

You can modify it based on our sample here: https://github.com/ThinkGeo?utf8=✓&q=wpf&type=&language=

Regards,

Ethan

Ethan,

Is there a specific WPF sample I can easily modify to illustrate my problem?

Hi Klaus,

My suggestion is choose the simplest sample for example(https://github.com/ThinkGeo/HelloWorldSample-ForWpf), you can just add your data into project, remove original logic and put your custom render logic there to reproduce it.

Regards,

Ethan