ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Silverlight or not silverlight

All,

I'm not a Silverlight expert so this question may be stupid, but please help me.

I'm a regular MS winform user.

I need to start a new project to track vehicles on a map, available on the web.

Something very basic as every complex functionalities will be available for the winform part only; the web part is really a viewer.

Web edition & Silverlight edition can probably be used for that project, so I'm wondering what can be the advantages and drawback of each.

The project is new, so I've no historical issues.

The only prerequisites are .net,  c#, ms & devexpress.

Regard,

Patrick.

Patrick, 

This question is a good one which most of our customers asked. 

Generally speaking, Silverlight Edition can use two ways to render a map. One is client rendering which uses Client’s machine to render; just like the EditOverlay in the WebEdition; but it has better performance than web edition. While another one is to render on the server-side which means the map actually renders on the server-side and transfers to the client and it supports all the styles of the web edition. Also Silverlight has many cool effects such as animations; better UI for default controls; multiple-web browser supports; do not need to write JavaScript and so on. While If you want to have better performance in web edition, you cannot avoid to using AJAX, you know. I think these are the advantage of Silverlight Edition. 

If you are interesting in this, please see the QuickStart of our Silverlight Edition. It specifies two ways of rendering for map. 

On the other hand, Silverlight Edition is in beta, and we may add more features for the further version. And Silverlight 3 is just released for 2 days, we need to do more investigation so that we can make our product better. 

We have released web edition for a long time, and now it’s stabler than Silverlight Edition; also, if you meet an issue, you can quickly find some related issues on this forum or ask us. 

My recommendation is: if your app is a viewer and display the vehicles, please use SilverlightEdition. It’s a really cool technology. We have evaluation version for both web and silverlight edition; welcome to evaluate them and choose the best one version you need. 

If you have more questions please let me know. 

Thanks, 
 Howard