ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

SMB 3 Protocol Support

Hi,

I am not certain exactly what I am asking / how to ask it but I will try, and hopefully there is enough content for you to understand and, maybe, answer.

We have a lot of clients and many of them have their own networks and sometimes our performance over their network is not great. One topic that has come up as a source of slower networks when working with large files is the version of the SMB protocol. I am not really sure how that fits in with us (or ThinkGeo) and what, if any, version is supported?

Our normal configuration is a ThinkGeo WinForms desktop application using our own custom SQLite files for layers (some can be quite large). Along side other file types as needed, such as SHP and Raster (again some very large).

Users like to have these files shared on the network so that multiple users can make use of the same background images and data.

I’m not sure how SMB would be involved and if we need to do anything specific to support it?

Any information / thoughts most welcome.

All the best,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I don’t have a lot of experience with SMB, but from what I’ve read this morning it’s at the network/OS level and should be transparent to your application, correct? To your application it’s just like any other Windows file share?

I don’t think you need to do anything specific to support this.

If you run into specific issues or have an instance where our map performance is slow, but other network performance with the same files on SMB is fast, then let us know and we can dig into it further.

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

Thanks for your take on the question, I agree that iot is not really something we would get involved with as part of the application.

Regards,
Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

Let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help.

Thanks,
John