ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Sql Server 2008 vs Sql Server 2005 vs Shape

Hi

I have a client who wants to use Silverlight ed of MapSuite - they have over 100 users and we are trying to evaluate query/map refresh/speed of using Sql Server 2008 , Sql Server 2005 or Shape/Tab files

The application will be drawing UK wide routelines and provide proximity analysis - 

Can anyone advise what the benefits are of each or recommend one over the other

The physical server will be speced out once we know whcih data source we are using

Thanks for your help

Richard

Richard, 

Thanks for evaluating our products. Any question you can post here, and we will try to give you answer as soon as possible. 

I think Shape files as the storage is the best, we did lots of optimizations about it. SQL Server 2005 doesn’t support the Geometry data very well, so there is no feature in MapSuite for that. Maybe you can use SQL Server 2008, but the performance is worse than shape file. MapSuite supports the Tab file, but worse performance than shapefile as well. All in all, the shape file is the best choice. 

Thanks, 

Johnny 

Hi Richard, 

From experience what Johnny is saying is correct, shapefiles will perform better. However, the last thing I would do is base an implementation on them. They’re cumbersome and many people are moving away from them in favour of other methods e.g. SQL2008 or using WMS/WFS combinations to leverage other systems such as ArcGIS etc. 

Personally I’d shoot for SQL2008 (2005 has no spatial datatypes so you can’t use it). However I’d be wary and do a decent proof of concept with the ThinkGeo tools first to see that you can get the performance and functionality out of them that you need. We’re working on implementing a WMS/WFS solution, but although it works performance is terrible (to the point where it cannot be used). ThinkGeo are working on this for us which is great, but if you are doing this work on behalf of a client make sure you do the proof of concept first to make sure you can actually deliver as required. 

Hope this helps, 

Jamie

thanks for your reply - The customer is still evaluating the cost benefit of upgrading the 2005 cals to 2008 - I would prefer to use 2008 as the geo data store over shape files as this is a much neater deployment and upgrade path - does anyone have any metrics that show the differences in speed between shape and 2008 spatial 

Thanks

Thank Jamie for sharing your experience. We do add some optimization for shapefile like Building Index file to speed up query etc.  

Richard, we are also looking forward to the result of your test. Thanks. 

Johnny