ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Tab File not Loaded Correctly

Dear thinkgeo support,

I have a TAB file that I want to load and show, but some portion of the TAB file is not showing correctly, some object is missing.

If I open the TAB file using MapInfo, it shows just fine and all object is displayed correctly.

I attach the TAB file for your reference.

this is the exception that I catch when building index of the tab file

"The shape you provided does not pass our simple validation.This ring is not closed.

To close a ring the last point must be the same as the first point.

All rings must have at least four points."

Actually I’m newbie in this Geo coding world, would you please show me the object that doesn’t pass your validation,

and how can I Fix it (maybe automatically adding a vertex to close the ring or any automatic solution (by programming) that will work).

Thanks.

tabfile.zip (146 KB)

Hi Syarief,

Thanks for your post, the reason for this problem is that there are some in valid shape in your tab file, there are two solutions for it:

The first is to use the new TabFile(attached) that we recreated for you, in it the invalid data are removed.And it coud be displayed well.

The second is to use the use our walkaround sample code, it could use the original data, and it could also be displayed well.

The first suggestion is recommanded, cause it will bring higher performance.

if you have any more question , please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards

Summer

newTabFile.zip (169 KB)
Post11345.txt (1.44 KB)

Hi Summer, 

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate that. 

But, the solution you provide is just ignoring the invalid object. 
 Could I pass your object validation and recreate the invalid object with the same vertices, and if so, How? 

Thanks.

Hi Syarief, 

Thanks for your further information, but I am afraid to say it is a little bit hard for us to do it, because it will break our shape validation checking system, and in fact, these invalid features are not actually displayable, we looked deep into the invalid features, they are either blank shapes(for example the 15th shape has no content) or wrong shape(for example, the 1764th has content but it is a polygon with only three vertices), would you please compare our result with the result from MapInfo, I guess they should be the same and maybe MapInfo also ignored the invalid shapes too. 

Hope it helps 

Summer

Hi Summer, 

In the MapInfo this feature/shape is not displayed too, but it doesn’t affect other features to not be displayed. 
 And I think the programming solution to check each features making it slower and more memory to consume. 
 But nevermind, thanks for your advice and solution. 
 I’ll try to search another workaround. 

Thanks.

Hi Syarief, 

Thanks for your further information, and you are right if we use the sample in “Post11345.txt” in previous post, the performance will have some loss, but a walkaound it to use the “newTabFile.zip” in which we recreated the tab file, so that we don’t need to foreach and find out the invalid data like what we did in “Post11345.txt”. And to use the recreated tab file should be faster. 

Hope it helps 

SUmmer