ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Think geo routing tool - maximum shape file input

Hi, what’s the maximum size of Shapefile that the ThinkGeo tool can read and write when building a .rtg file?
Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich,
4 GB on .shp file, and don’t think we have limitation on .rtg files.
Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack, thanks for this. The version of the tool i’m using is 32-bit - would this influence things? It seems that when i’m inputting a shapefile which is bigger than 2gb it’s falling over and i’m getting an error message of “object reference not set to an instance of an object”. running a smaller cut of the input data runs ok.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

Don’t think 32-bit vs. 64-bit matters. I think the problem is that during the build routing index process, we have to breakdown intersecting roads, establish road connections and create a new routable shape file along with the original shape file set. The inter-medium routable shape file exceeds the 4GB file size limitation and causing error.

Checked with our routing team, and they do have some enhancements in newest Routing Engine version 10, and do support routing shapefile more than 6 GB in version 10?

Don’t know which routing engine version you are using in your application, but if your app was too old on MapSuite versions, it may not compatible with version 10.

I would recommend to go to helpdesk.thinkgeo.com and download newest routing version and give a try.

Thanks,
Jack