ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Threading

Hey Guys - could I get a brief explanation of how the threading works with the WMS Server? What I am wondering about is if the thread usage i am seeing is just the normal IIS application threading or do you guys spawn additional threads or place any other restrictions on the threading? When I run the WMS server in dev on my workstation (duo core) it will use up to 6-7 threads to handle all the tile requests for a given extent but when I am running it on the production server which has some other web services running (quad core) it will sometimes use as few as 2 threads to handle the same set of tile requests This is probably just due to the other web services handling requests and we will eventually have the WMS server on it's own physical server or group of servers but I just wanted to make sure I at least understood how the threading was working and that there wasn't any additional configuration possible that could impact performance.  

Thanks,

Chris

Hi, Chris 

There is only one case that we spawn additional threads which is, when WMS server receives a GETMAP request that requests a set of tiles in a given extent; however, WMS server doesn’t caches some of these tiles at this point, instead, we spawn an additional thread to save these tiles into cache. As for your second concern: restrictions on the threading? The answer is no. We haven’t placed any restriction on the threading, please don’t worry about that. We leave all the threading handling stuff to IIS Web Server and let it do its job except the case I mentioned at the beginning. 

Any further questions please let us know. 

Thanks, 
 Howard