ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Tile Width/Height

Hello,

In the WPF version, there is a property to set the Tile Width and Height.  I've generated a TileCache for use with the WPF version that uses 512x512 tiles and would like to use the same cache for the Silverlight version, however I cannot find the property to change the tile width and height.  How can I use my same cache?

Thanks,

.Ryan.

Hello Ryan, 

Sorry for reply so late. In our Silverlight Edition. the TileWidth and TileHeight are design to const, so you can use the cache by set tileType but you can’t change the size right now. 

Regards, 

Gary 

Hi Gary, 

What are the const TileWidth and TileHeight?  256x256 I’m guessing? 

Thanks 
 .Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

I think Gary is exactly right; here I will give you more information about this issue. To expose a const TileWidth/TileHeight is a bad designing and we didn't aware that during our reviewing; sorry for the inconvenience. We will review this API and enhance it later. I think your suggestion gives us very importance opportunity to enhance our product, so thank you so much for this.

Here I considered about this issue and fortunately, I have a workaround for you. The attached class guides you writing a new overlay that allows to set TileWidth and TileHeight. I don't sure if the cache is exactly compatible with the WPF Desktop edition for I just work on the forum for part-time; so I cannot spend much time on the testing. 

With this information and sample code, I think our support team can handle the rest stuff and help you out for using the cache that you already have.

Thanks,
Howard

CustomWmsOverlay.zip (2.76 KB)

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply Howard.  Unfortunately, that code is for the client side.  Since a client may only access the site once or twice, I think it’d be better to have caching on the server side.  Since we also have a WPF version and I’ve already pre-generated a TileCache for that, it would be awesome if I could re-use it on my server, however the tiles I used were 512x512. 

Thanks, 
 .Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

It might not be exactly clear in my last email. I think you already know how to use cache in Silverlight; so here is information for using cache system in Silverlight Edtion. 

In Silverlight we allow server rendering and displaying the server rendered image on the client; they are connected by class "SilverlightMapConnector" (we have an integrated sample at:\Samples\ServerRendering\SimpleServerRendering.xaml). So in this scenario, we need code for both client and server side. 

On the client side, ServerLayerOverlay is the key; it sets some important properties for finding the connector and some other important information (please check the sample for detail). But the bad designing is that we don't have the tile size property on this class, instead we used a hard-coded tile size with 256*256. While in the CustomServerLayerOverlay I sent you yesterday, I expose the tile size property and override the DrawCore method to make it implemented so you can use this overlay instead to change the tile size to 512*512.

On the server side, we have a class with the same name that we used on the client side “ServerLayerOverlay”; it gives the same ability to render actual layers on the server side which should be the same like web or wpf edition. Please check the server code in “default.aspx.cs” in “CSharp HowDoISamples For Debug.Web” project. 

Till now, I introduced the client and server ServerLayerOverlay which allows you to render layers cooperatively. So you know, cache is server side thing, we cannot access cache on client side which is un-trust app in browser. So we designed the cache system on the server side. In the sample page “default.aspx.cs”, you will find some ServerLayerOverlay objects; it has a property “ServerCache”; currently we don’t have many settings about this except cache directory. But for more requirements, we think we will make it more common later. Let’s just use the existing properties here. We talked above, the client side collects much information such as connector id, id, tile size etc and during the drawing; each tile creates an URI to access the server side. While the server side gets the request, if the ServerCache is not null, we will create a cache object on the server side and reuse the cache we already have.

Technically, it’s possible to share cache between several controls, but each control has a special reason to have mechanism which is a little different from the other. So I think if we test, there is a chance to make them available to share the caches. Here is a general structure of my idea.

Please feel free to try and let the support team know if you have any questions. I will give a hand to guide them to try our best to make it. 

Keep in touch and best regards.

Thanks,
Howard