ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Using Silverlight Edition in MVC application

We're using the Silverlight map in an MVC application but have only been able to get it to work by using an iframe within an MVC view.  The iframe points to an aspx page that contains the Silverlight object and that is located in the application root directory.  This works pretty well except for typical navigation and clipping problems related to iframes.  Is there a way to use the Silverlight edition in an MVC view page?

The key problem we observed was that calls to GeoTile.axd were relative references and we were unable to re-route them to the application root.  For example, a ShowMap page on the MapController is accessed by the following url:

localhost/myapp/map/showmap

The resulting calls to GeoTile.axd then have urls as follows:

localhost/myapp/map/GeoTile.axd?SERVICE=WMS....

The GeoTile urls break with 'page not found' errors.  In order to work, the url needs to NOT have the /map component of the url (i.e., it needs to point to the application root).  Presumably this is the case for any other axd resources, if any, needed by the map.

Is there way to specificy the root url for the GeoTile.axd service calls, or is there another approach to using the Silverlight edition in a MVC app? 

Chuck,

At first when we designed the Silverlight Edition, we didn't consider the ASP.NET MVC mode, so there are always some issues based on the ASP.NET MVC mode, here is another post that related to the MVC mode below:

gis.thinkgeo.com/Support/Dis...fault.aspx

You can see for the web edition, we can display the map on the MVC 3 mode, but any click events cannot be supported as well, also for the silverlight edition, re-rout the url is a good API for us, we will discuss with it and consider to add the new feature to the Silverlight edition in the the future,

Any more questions please let me know,

Thanks,

Scott, 

Thanks for the update. I think your not far off from being able to use Silverlight Edition in an MVC application - it really seems to depend on the option to have absolute references for the axd resource calls or appropriate MVC routing of those calls (which we tried but were unsuccessful).

We've tried using Map Suite Web in MVC as well with limited success.  I've added details here:

gis.thinkgeo.com/Support/Dis...aspx#25153

We were able to capture map clicks to do things like run reports or navigate to other pages, but were unable to update the Map control itself.  Changing Web edition so that it uses async calls instead of classic webforms post-backs, along with correcting the same relative-url issues that Silverlight has, would probably put you on the right track and be a nicer user experience than the old post-back model provides.

Hi Chuck, 

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. There are a great many of enhancements to fully support MVC in SilverlightEdition and WebEdition. These new features are still under discussion, will let you know if we have any new progress. 

Regards, 

Ivan