ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Usring Raster layers

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a procedure for using raster images in layers (specifically .tif/tfw).  In the Web Edition of Map Suite, I would use a GDIRaster Layer, but I can't seem to find the equivelant in the the Silverlight edition.  I'm pulling the data from the .tif files from a database, so I'm hoping there's an AlternateStream field, much like the ShaeFileFeatureLayer.  Is there anywhere I mighrt be able to get some info on these items?  Thanks very much!

-Dustin

Hi, Dustin 

We don’t provide client-side API for RasterLayer, but you can implement the same result using the server rendering. 
 Please see it for full detail in the “SimpleServerRendering” sample in our installed samples which you can find its source code at “ServerRendering\SimpleServerRendering.xaml”. 

The same with that sample, and you need to define the RasterLayer on the server-side and consume it through ServerLayerOverlay on the client-side. 

If you have any questions about server rendering or others please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Khalil

Thanks Khalil,

I kind of expected that was going to be your answer.  I currently have the file implemented just as you're saying.

I guess my only question would be is there a way to fetch a new server side layer after the initial page load?  I'm trying to update the image files periodically, so I'd need it on a timer.  Is this situation possible?   I was hoping to keep track of all my timers through silverlight, but it doesn't look like that may be an option with server side layers.  Thanks again.

-Dustin

Hi, Dustin

Thanks for your feedback.
I think you are correct. It's hard to update the server layers periodically, and as you know that the server-side is mainly used to serve static maps. You can’t control what and how to render on the server-side and all of stuff such as construct ServerLayerOverlay and set the link between client-side and server-side are always ready beforehand. We don’t have effective communication mechanism between them.
Anyway, here is one solution for your scenario. Regarding the WMS Server Edition I suggest. In addition we know that the WMS servers maps are less dynamic, though we do support dynamic maps, we have special logic for static maps that allows us to generate them more efficiently. If you have the time, to watch the video introducing it. The video is on the product page under the videos tab. It recaps that there are quite a few advantages to using the WMS server when you need performance.
If you have any questions please let me know.
Thanks,
Khalil

Khalil, 
 I’ve looked into the WMS server, and it seems like a huge amount of overkill for a single .TIF file. Has there been any change in the support of client-side raster images recently, or will there be any time in the future?  I would really love a way to implement this without having to set up a whole server for a single layer. Thanks for your help! 
 -Dustin

Hi Dustin,
Just as Khalil has mentioned, there isn’t raster support on client-side in SilverlightEdition. One biggest reason is that the Silverlight is just a client-side plugin. It’s unreasonable to host lots of data downloading from server. So it’s hard to say when it can be integrated into product now.
If you just want to process the “Tiff” images on client-side, I think you can manage it with the help of LibTiff.Net class library bitmiracle.com/blog/libtiff-...s-released , which supports analyzing tiff image in Silverlight client side.
Thanks,
Johnny