ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

UTM Projection in Windows Phone Map Control

Dear Map Suite support,

I am evaluating your Windows Phone 7 map control to be used in our incoming application but I am unable to find out how to implement UTM projection into map control. Our map data is in WMS server which provides tiles in UTM projection.

I have read from your API documentation that by implementing custom Layer with FeatureSource I can change the projection to UTM. However, there seems not to be layers available at all in WP7 map control. Instead there are Overlays who do not have FeatureSource and Projection member which I could change.

1. Ideal situation for me would be that I could inherit my own custom Overlay from TiledWmsOverlay which uses UTM projection. Is this possible?

2. Is it possible to change the existing TiledWmsOverlay to use UTM projection configured with Proj4 command string?

Thank you for your answers! Please answer ASAP!

Janne,

If I understand well your situation, you are pulling data in UTM from a WMS server to your phone. And you have data in your phone, let say some points or a shapefile that is in some other projection. What you want to do is project the data that you have on your phone to the projection of the WMS so that all the data match. For that you can use the InMemoryFeatureLayer (if you have a GPS point to project for example) or ShapeFileFeatureLayer (if you have a whole shapefile layer for example). InMemoryFeatureLayer and ShapeFileFeatureLayer are part of MapSuite.Core so you have all the projection capability as in any other edition. I hope I understand your situation. I am saying that because I don't see very well what  your are getting at with inheriting your own custom Overlay from TiledWmsOverlay which uses UTM. Thank you.

Thank you for your response!

This might be the solution but I would like to verify this before I continue the evaluation. I want to clarify our use case a bit for you. We have a WMS server that provides our mobile application with map tiles in UTM projection (server is not actual tile server but we use WMS requests to get 256x256 seamless map tiles). We use these tiles to provide seamless map just as built in Bing Maps application in Windows Phone. Our maps are highly detailed terrain map tiles for outdoor navigation purposes. We have successfully implemented this in iPhone, Nokia S60, Qt and Android. We are now looking solution for Windows Phone. Our mobile application has over 30000 active users on all mentioned platforms.

My question is: does the InMemoryFeatureLayer support map tiling features off the shelf (just like TiledWmsOverlay seems to support)? Do I have to re-implement all tile based map code if I use InMemoryFeatureLayer? Is there any "plug-and-play" way to implement UTM-based tiled map in your Windows Phone Map Control?

Thank you already for your answers! If your control fits our needs and allows easy path for our implementation1, we will most probaply purchase a license!

Janne, 

I just reviewed this post and believe the Windows Phone Edition will work great for your requirements. 

For code on how to consume your WMS Server in UTM I would look at the UseWMSOverlay sample in the C# How Do I samples that come with the evaluation.  While this sample is using a WMS Server that is in decimal degrees, you can easily change it to use your own WMS Server in UTM.  You will just want to set the Map Unit to Meters instead of Decimal Degrees and modify the extent to use UTM coordinates instead of long/lat.  

If you are receiving any coordinate data on the phone in long/latitude this can be easily converted to UTM using the Proj4Projection class.   

We could write a quick little sample that would work against your UTM WMS Server if you can provide the URL and any credential information needed to access it.  If you don’t’ want to make the URL public you can also send it to forumsupport@thinkgeo.com and reference this post. 

Hope this information helps, let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Thanks!