ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

V10 Runtime License Question and Issue

I have a few questions about version 10 licensing and automated build systems. We have a build machine that creates new release builds and installs of our application. OUr application is branded into 4 or 5 different “applications”. Each of these applications are the same code, we just change the exe name, the config, and where it gets installed. The code is actually the same codebase. Our installer build process is what does the renaming and such. This was working fine in version 8 of ThinkGeo because we have our license key embedded in the application.

With the change to a generated license file, how will that work in our environment. There is no user interaction during our build process. I can’t create a license file before hand because the executable hasn’t been built yet. I am assuming the “generate license file” process in product center stores information about the executable within the license information since you have to browse to the exe to generate it. Is this true? I really hope not because in today’s world of CI/CD if the license file changes on each build of the application and new file has to get generated, then we are dead in the water.

My questions are

1. Does the license process store information about the executable within the license information?
  2. If I can’t use the same license file that is generated BEFORE we do a build, then how do I automate the building of the license file so it can be included in the installers?

Hi Stephen,

MapSuite 10 using file license, it won’t modify information in registry, I think it’s easier to use in your scenario.

You can manual build an executable file, then build the runtime license based on it via your product center, after that if you rebuild the executable file with code change, you don’t need regenerate the license file, just need copy original one.

So please don’t modify your assembly name after license generated, and you can pre-build one license file then include in it your installer.

You can learn more detail here: https://wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/map_suite_license_guide#map_suite_desktop_winforms_wpf

Wish that’s helpful.

Regards,

Ethan

We have a business requirement to change the assembly name. Can I manually generate a different license file for each rename of the exe after it is renamed and include that with the app and it work?

I was able to get it work. It seems that the way your code implemented the license check is that I need to generate the license file off the original assembly name like you said. However, if we rename the assembly afterwards, it still works. I am guessing the TG licensing code use the assembly name in the meta data to determine what the license file name should be but the contents within the license file doesn’t need to change if the physical assembly filename is renamed after the fact.

Hi Stephen,

I am glad to hear that’s works.

In fact you can find a ProductCenter.com in our package, and you can run it with command to generate the license file if you want to regenerate it.

Regards,

Ethan