ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Version 4.0

Is it based on Silverligh 4?

Does it support out-of-browser?

Jingwei, 

It’s still based on Silverlight 3 and for now it doesn’t support out-of-browser. That’s on the list though and I think the next release should be a Silverlight 4 based one.  

Thanks, 

Ben

Missing out-of-browser support is a serious problem.

In some earlier post, someone said out-of-browser will be in next release. I assumed that referred to this major release.

When will out-of-browser be supported?

JingWei, 

I agree that OOB is a very cool in the Silverlight, we also considered to support it in our product,   but there is license problem now if the SilverlightEdition is used without server side container. Sorry for the inconvenience, I will discuss this issue with our manager. 

Thanks, 

Johnny. 

Bing Silverlight control supports OOB without license concern.

JingWei, 

Thanks for provding the information, we will do more research about it. 

Thanks again. 

Johnny

Hello, 
 we’re really interested in OOB capability. Could you give us some more detail about the roadmap to let this functionality available? 
 TIA 
 Roberto

It looks like in addition to the BING map control supporting OOB, the ESRI silverlight contol suppports it also. Based on previous posts it’s been ‘on the list’ for quite a while now. OOB is is becoming an expectation from people now since there is good support for it in SL4 however anyone using your silverlight contol will not be able to do this until you implement the option. Can we at least get an indication of a timeframe for it?

Guys, 

Thanks for submitting your requirement. I agree with you that OOB is a very interesting feature in Silverlight. We are always trying to make it work. It’s also on our roadmap, it’s related to License problem, so long time it’s unable to come true. 

Thanks for giving us the information about Bing and ESRI map, we are gonna do the investegation. We will give you a note as soon as it comes out. 

Thanks, 
 Johnny 

Hi, 

This has come up in discussions with a potential client with regard to a new project they are looking at doing with us. Is there a timeframe yet on OOB for the silverlight control? 

Thanks, 

Jamie

Hi Jamie,
I’m sorry but I need to say maybe it’s impossible to make our license apply to OOB. We did the investigation with Bing and ESRI map control, they just provide a map viewer which just works with various GIS service and simple operation, and there isn’t server side renderer. So their license can be bounded to the WebSite. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks,
Johnny

Johnny, 

“I’m sorry but I need to say maybe it’s impossible to make our license apply to OOB” 

Johhny, that’s rubbish. Provide a WCF service on the server side and then the client control can validate the license via WCF. It’s not rocket science. 

“We did the investigation with Bing and ESRI map control, they just provide a map viewer which just works with various GIS service and simple operation, and there isn’t server side renderer.” 

Yeah, but ThinkGeo’s server side renderer is the SilverlightMapConnector which we can’t use because it forces us to use ASP. So, tell us, why should we stick with ThinkGeo when other controls are offering more? We need to remove the ASP component from our application and we need OOB support. Please fix both these problems or we will have to stop using the ThinkGeo products. 

Hi Christian, 

Thanks for providing your ideas. I have submitted your requirements to our managers. I’m gonna talk with them and give you result ASAP.  
 Using the WCF for license validation will attach the customer’s application to our license server. In other words, if the customers run their application, it requires their application send a request to our server for license validation if the SilverlightEdition is just a client control without SilverlightConnector. I prefer to abstract a simple, client map viewer from SilverlightEdition, which just needs the deployment license. Anyway, that’s just my idea, we will give the response as soon as possible. 

Thanks again. 
 Johnny