ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

WFS Data source support

Hello everybody,

does somebody know a way to load Features from a WFS Server?

I read some post about using a ServerLayerOverlay (on the client side) and a WfsFeatureSource (on the server side), but I suppose that this solution does not allow to use Features on the client side.

I also read some post about using an InMemoryFeatureSource filled "manually", but I guess that this solution is complex to develop.

Does somebody know another way, or have an example for the second solution?

Thank you

Nicolas

Nicolas,

Our Silverlight Edition doesn’t support the easy way to get feature from WFS server on client side so far, the “manually” way maybe done as following steps:
1.       Build a request url
2.       Get response stream by request url
3.       Convert stream to xml
4.       Parse xml to get wkt and column values
5.       Load feature by wkt and column values

Any more questions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
James

Thank you James, 
 following your recommendation, I have created a very simple and specific WFS client using InMemoryFeatureLayer and a WebClient to request the WFS server (for GetCapabilities, DescribeFeatureType and GetFeature requests). 
 Do you plan to add a "native" WFS client in future versions of MapSuite Silverlight Edition? 

Thanks 
 Nicolas

Hi, Nicolas
Yes, we’re going to add a native WfsFeatureSource associate with an Overlay in Silverlight Edition in the future, maybe in the next public release. But to implement a WfsFeatureSource requires some different process in the Silverlight Edition from that in the Service Edition, so we have a lot of things to investigate, in order to implement WfsFeatureSource in the best way.
We’ll let you know if there’s any update about this issue.
Thanks.
James

I am also interested in native WFS support in the Silverlight control.  What do you mean by load feature by wkt and column values?  

Hi Josh,

As you can see from the Feature object, each Feature is basically made up of WKT and ColumnValues collection. WKT is a well-known format ted text for the geometry field of this feature (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text), and ColumnValues collections stores the column data of this feature fetched associated with the shapefile, which is stored originally in the .dbf file with the same name as the .shp file.

Once both of them are loaded on the server and then transferred to the client, you can create a new Feature object by the WKT and the ColumnValues at the client side, that’s how the client gets the feature.

Hope this piece of information can help you.

Further questions please feel free to post here.

Thank you.

James