ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

What's the deal with the new World Map Kit DVD?

My company recieved a new Map Suite World Map Kit DVD in the mail last week.  After installing it on our fileserver, I was surprised to discover that our custom application no longer displayed any local content (i.e. Roads, Streets, Counties, etc.).  Although, the higher level stuff like interstates, state borders, and countries still showed up.

Upon further inspection of the new World Map Kit data, we noticed that the file names and directory structure had changed, and all of the index files (*.midx) were also missing.

Questions:

1)  Why did ThinkGeo change the directory structure of the World map Kit data?

2)  What happened to the index (*.midx) files?  Are they no longer required?

3)  Is thre a new API or Samples demonstrating how to use the new data?

3)  Did we recieve a bad DVD, or the wrong version of the World Map Kit?

I'm confused because there was no information on the DVD's "Readme.txt" explaining these changes  On top of that,  I can't find any info on the ThinkGeo website regarding the "Release History" or "Change Lists" for the World Map Kit product.

What's going on?

Nate, 

Sorry for your experience, we should have included a read-me on the changes.  For the other products we had posted the changes but as you mention I could not find that either.  I will find out more about this. 

1. I will check on the directory structure. 

2. The Midx files are no longer used because one of the goals was to support missing data.  This is the situation where you only want to distribute a few states.  In the new structure if you remove some state data the program will still run and render the states that are there. 

3. The class for loading the layer changed.  I think this is why it is not working for you.  You need to use the new layer code that knows how to read the new structure.  It should be the WorldMapKitLayer I believe. 

4. The DVD you have should be ok, I think the main issue is you need to use the new layer with the new data structure. 

I will look into why there were not more information out there.  All the changes came from the feedback of many users that they wanted a more flexible system where they could only ship a subset of the road data. 

David