ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Windows Phone Edition - preliminary questions

I'm contemplating on aquiring a Windows Phone to enable testing the Phone Edition, but I'm stuck with a couple of questions, I can’t seem to find answers for online:

1. Is Phone Edition supported on all Windows Phones, or is there a minimum build/configuration to look for ?

2. The licensing model mentions a server license. Where does this fit into the Phone App development schema, e.g.

1. Are the apps dependent on having a Map Suite driven server present at all times ?

2. Or are special data layers just optionally available thru such a server (I assume WMS and WFS are available directly from Internet to phone) ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Brian,
Sorry for the delay. Please check the answers below:
1.       The MapSuite WindowsPhone Edition was developed with “WP7 SDK”, and tested against “WindowsPhone Emulator”, real phones from Samsung and HTC. Honestly, yes, we didn’t test all the smartphone in the market, but we are sure it should support all the windows Phones. Please let us know if any problem you have when doing the test.
2.       a. As far as we know, the Windows Phone is a light-weight SDK, which is hard to read and deal with complex data just in the phone, such as Mrsid, ECW, Oracle and so on. But it’s easy to display the images requested from the internet. In windows Phone edition, it provides a ServerOverlay to deal with these scenarios, it’s based on the service developed with assembly WindowsPhoneMapConnector.dll and MapSuiteCore.dll, both are based on .NET Framework rather than Windows Phone SDK. To deploy these services to the server (PC), the server license is required. Please check the installed samples in “Server Rendering” folder.Besides the ServerOverlay, we also provides several Overlays, such as BingMapsOverlay, WMSOverlay, which can work without server license.

b. Yes, just as mentioned above, it’s hard to host a big data in the Phone, so most of the layers need to request the image or data from the internet, and then we can cache drawn images in the phone to allow us to use it offline.

Hope the above is helpful to you.

Regards!

Johnny

it’s hard to host a big data in the Phone, so most of the layers need to request the image or data from the internet, and then we can cache drawn images in the phone to allow us to use it offline.  

The old version (Windows Mobile 6) used to host shape files fine. Why is it hard on the new version? The hardware is much better now. What’s the problem?

Christian, 

Thank you for your question.  The Windows Phone Edition is not the next version of the Old Map Suite Pocket PC SDK.  They use completely different technologies and code bases.  The Windows Phone Edition was designed specifically for the Windows Phone 7 platform using Microsoft’s latest technology so there is very little in common with it and the old Pocket PC version.  While the hardware is much better on the new phones,  the general purpose drawing API’s in the frameworks  are not much faster, all of the drawing on the phone framework has been optimized for gaming and not rendering maps (except tiles), we looked at several ways to handle the offline scenario’s better with the Windows Phone 7 but in the end there weren’t any good choices and we feel that the offline scenario is quickly becoming a corner case because of the ever expanding ability of high speed wireless networks. 

Thanks! 

Hi, 

Q1: I've aquired a HTC Titan with Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. Have you tested the latest Phone Edition against the "Mango" OS ? 

Q2: I understand Johnny's response above ("To deploy these services to the server (PC), the server license is required. ... Besides the ServerOverlay, we also provides several Overlays, such as BingMapsOverlay, WMSOverlay, which can work without server license") to mean, that app's developed with the trial edition will continue to work after the trial period, except for layers added as ServerOverlay. Is this true ?  

I'm only asking Q2 to find out whether developed demo app's will continue to work (partially) after 30 days, as it may take longer than this to convince a potential client :-) 

Q3: We have a licensed Web Edition running on our server. Will a Phone Edition trial on the same server interfere with this working edition ?

Lars, 

Thanks for the great questions!  Please see my responses below: 

Q1: I’ve aquired a HTC Titan with Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. Have you tested the latest Phone Edition against the “Mango” OS ?  

Answer:  Yes the Windows Phone 7 Edition was build with Mango so it will work good on your HTC Titan 

Q2: I understand Johnny’s response above (“To deploy these services to the server (PC), the server license is required. … Besides the ServerOverlay, we also provides several Overlays, such as BingMapsOverlay, WMSOverlay, which can work without server license”) to mean, that app’s developed with the trial edition will continue to work after the trial period, except for layers added as ServerOverlay. Is this true ?  

I’m only asking Q2 to find out whether developed demo app’s will continue to work (partially) after 30 days, as it may take longer than this to convince a potential client :-)  

Answer:  The phone client piece won’t expire but the server piece of the Phone edition will.  However if you need an extension talk to your sales representative and he may be able to help you out. 

Q3: We have a licensed Web Edition running on our server. Will a Phone Edition trial on the same server interfere with this working edition ? 

Answer:  You can have both of them running on the server without any problems.   

Thanks!