ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Working with large images

Hi,

I'm doing some test with Map Suite Silverlight edition. I already have a test version using server side rendering with shapefiles and raster data. But I'm concerned about, how to handle large images like satellite imagery without remaining to slow? Is there a easy way to handle this? 

Best regards,

Gonçalo

Hi, Goncalo 

Thank you for adopting Map Suite Silverlight product.  

In fact, If users are using the server side rendering with large images such MrSid, ECW or shapefiles etc; we will deploy a WMS Server with tiling service for users so users could get all the advantages that come for WMS. Also in order to improve user experience and I suggest you open the server cache for your ServerLayerOverlay and it could cache the images on the sever-side so that there is no need to send the same request to the server. 

If you still have any problem about this, please feel free to let us know. 

Thanks, 
 Khalil

Hi Khalil, 

Thanks for your reply. Actually I am using server side rendering I think. I’m using the ServerLayerOverlay but it stills take a while to render the map. The resolution of that map is 21600 x 21600. 
 I did the server cache for the ServerLayerOverlay as you propos but still the same. Better but still slow… 

Thanks, 
 Gonçalo 

Hi Khalil, 

Thanks for your reply. Actually I am using server side rendering I think. I’m using the ServerLayerOverlay but it stills take a while to render the map. The resolution of that map is 21600 x 21600. 
 I did the server cache for the ServerLayerOverlay as you propos but still the same. Better but still slow… 

Thanks, 
 Gonçalo 

Hi, Goncalo  

I think it’s a performance problem and I can’t figure out how it occurs and where is the bottleneck of this problem. Also I have tested it using MrSid about 420M size and also I have set the server cache so it works well and not bad. 
 Could you please provide us with the code and data you are using so we could address it quickly.   

Thanks, 
 Khalil

Hi,  

I am trying to attach my code but I cant I dont know why, maybe is problems with my browser but I tried with IE, maxthon and chrome.  

Gonçalo

Goncalo, 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Please refer to the post below and it will tell you how to do that. 
 gis.thinkgeo.com/Support/DiscussionForums/tabid/143/aff/28/aft/5558/afv/topic/Default.aspx 

If you still can’t attach your code, so please send the code to support@thinkgeo.com and ask him to forward to me. 

Thanks, 
 Khalil

Can I attach my solution in a megaupload account? Is there a problem since the trial SilverlightMapSuiteDll are referenced in the solution? 

Best regards, 
 Gonçalo

Gonçalo, 

Does megaupload allows free members to download the packages? If it is, it’s a choice, and Please be free to attach the trial dlls in the solution. Otherwise you can contact support@thinkgeo.com and ask them to open an FTP space for you.  

Thanks, 

Johnny 

Map Suite silverlight 4 works in Visual studio 2010? 
 I installed a trial version of silverlight 4 but in does work… 
 It compiles the project but when I try to run the solution throws  

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   ThinkGeo.MapSuite.SilverlightEdition.SilverlightMapConnector.x1811944f4031e215() +1316
   ThinkGeo.MapSuite.SilverlightEdition.SilverlightMapConnector.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +146
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +146
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Hi, Goncalo

In fact, in order to make use of the functionality of SilverlightMapConnector which will register http handler configuration information in the web.config file for user. There are many situations that cause this error. Please check out the situations below:

1. Whether you have write permission for the file;

2. Whether the file is checked in through some kind of source control plug in for Visual Studio;

3. Whether the file is set as read-only.

If this problem still exists, please copy the statement below to httphandlers section of the web.config file:

<add path="GeoTile.axd" verb="*" type="ThinkGeo.MapSuite.SilverlightEdition.TileHandler" />

and copy the statement below to handlers section of system.webServer section:

<add name="GeoTileResource" path="GeoTile.axd" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode"  type="ThinkGeo.MapSuite.SilverlightEdition.TileHandler" />

Also please refer to the screenshot below:    

Thanks,

Khalil