ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

World Map Kit Data out of Date

Assuming I am doing this correctly, can someone tell me how up to date the World Map Kit maps are?   There are many roads, including my own address that do not exist on the map (and my address neighborhood is 10 years old).

The following is the code used to access the World Map Kit layer:

LayerOverlay worldMapOverlay = new LayerOverlay();new WorldMapKitLayer();TileAccessMode.ReadOnly;WorldMapKitProjection.DecimalDegrees;GeographyUnit.DecimalDegree;"World Map";

Remember that the map displays with no problem, it is only that the map data is very old.

Thanks,

Jeff

WorldMapLayer =

WorldMapLayer.TileCache.TileAccessMode = ThinkGeo.MapSuite.Core.

WorldMapLayer.TileCache.TileMatrix.TileHeight = 100;

WorldMapLayer.TileCache.TileMatrix.TileWidth = 100;

WorldMapLayer.Projection =

_map.MapUnit =

worldMapOverlay.Layers.Add(WorldMapLayer);

mapLayerOverlay = worldMapOverlay;

mapLayerOverlay.Name =

Hello Jeff, 

Thanks for your post, the data of world map is store in the server, the map you shows is the newest map in our server, so could you please let me know which area are you pointed and I can do a check. 

Regards, 

Gary

We have a few different customers complainging for from different states, I know specifically my neighborhood in Chaska, MN (a suburb of Minneapols) which is 10 years old has no street labels for any of the streets in it.   Also, a freeway that was completed about 4 years ago from Eden Prairie to Chaska, MN (HW 212) is not displayed on the map. 

This is the common type of feedback we get from customers, basically that the HW data is about 10 years old.   

Thanks, 

Jeff

Also, can you answer why the geocoder  
 MapSuite.GeoCodeUSA.GeoCodeResult 

Does not find a lot of older addresses as well? 

It does not find my address, 3172 Mulligan Lane, Chaska MN 55318 which is 9 years old.  It instead give back the zip centroid. 

Thanks, 

Jeff

Hello Jeff, 

Thanks for your further information, yes I think our world map kit data is not new enough, good news is that we will change the base source to OpenStreetMap, it’s map data of US, Canada and most Europe are very new. 

And for geocoder question, I think the reason is we don’t have that part of data, now we are using Tiger data, it’s not very exactly. For now GeoCoder is an open package, it’s for user use their own data to search the address, it’s not a completely tools that including everything, we provide the US data for demonstrate. Also we are planning update the data too, so please keep your eyes on our website, we will announce asap. 

If you still need more detailed answer, I can assign this question to our GeoCoder expert. 

Regards, 

Gary

Hi guys,

I'd like to add at this topic, that I'm actually evaluating the mapsuite, and I found that the country "Yugoslavia" was still on the map.

Could someone explain to me why it is this way?

Where could I get an "up-to-date" world map to keep going my evaluation?

Hello Patrick, 

Sorry for get you in trouble, I think you are using our WorldMapKitOverlay or WorldMapLayer, right? 

Like I said above, our map data is old, and we will update to the newest data, after that, you can use the right map data. 

Before this is done, sorry to say, you have to choose some other data source, like using GoogleMap, BingMaps or OpenStreetMaps. 

Let me know if you have queries. 

Regards, 

Gary

Hello Gary,  
 thanks for your reply. 

Yes, exactly, I’m using the WorldMapKitOverlay. 

Do you already have a date for the update? 

I tried to use simply a GoogleMap instead of your WorlMapKitOverlay, but I found out that the example “Area of a feature” for instance isn’t working.  

Should it be working without any issues or is there some adaptations to make ?? 

Regards 

Patrick 

Hi Patrick and Jeff,

The World Map Kit Dataset is comprised of several different datasources in an effort to provide a ready to use map for use with the Map Suite API. The Data for the United States is based on the USGS TIGER dataset and is updated when the data is available from the USGS. The 'World' data is indeed older but can serve as a reference for coastlines and most country outlines.

The Geocoder uses the same TIGER dataset as a basis for its Geocoding Index and thus is updated on the same schedule as the World Map Kit USA data. Not to point fingers but the USGS is the collection authority for this data so unfortunately we cannot control the frequency on when certain areas may or may not be updated.

If you are looking for the ultimate in control over the update frequency you might consider using Open Street Map data for your background data. Open Street Map gives anyone the ability to update the data at openstreetmap.org.

The Map Suite API allows you to use the OSM data in two ways: the OpenStreetMapOverlay which polls the OSM server for data over the Internet, or you can download the OpenStreetMap data in shapefile format for use on your local Desktop application or for local storage on your Web Server by logging into the ThinkGeo Web site navigating to Products - Free Trial Downloads, scrolling down to Data Sets - OpenStreetMap Data and clicking the 'Download Now!' button. 

I believe this data is updated weekly from Open Street Map. Thus if you submitted any changes you potentially could see those included in the data within a week!

I believe we will be moving the OpenStreetMap data as the main datasource for the World Map Kit in the future but I don't have a timeline on when this might be occurring.

Patrick,

The World Map Kit by default uses the Geodetic projection, the GoogleOverlay/Layer uses the Spherical Mercator projection. These two projections (Geodetic, Spherical Mercator) use different coordinate systems. Geodetic uses Decimal Degrees, and Spherical Mercator uses Meter. If you move to a Google Overlay/Layer be sure you change your MapUnit = GeographyUnit.Meter. If you need further assistance with this issue please create a new thread as this is unrelated to the original post.