ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

OSM maps corrupt

Hello ThinkGeo.

I am having the exact same issue with XF as with this link
WMS maps corrupt - ThinkGeo UI for Desktop - ThinkGeo Discussion Forums

This is happening using v12.3.18 as well as 12.4.1 (latest) of ThinkGeo.UI.XamarinForms.

From the above URL I can see this is related to SkiaSharp.

At this moment it is not a significant issue for me but if this is not resolved soon it will be a problem.
Apart from “wait and see” are there any other steps I could take to avoid this issue?
For example in the URL above the temp workaround was to move to a beta version of the ThinkGeo Nugets.

Regards
Chris …

PS Examples of the issue for Android and iOS attached.

Hey @Chris_Marassovich1,

Yes, this is a known issue. We hope for a fix from SkiaSharp soon, but if the issue isn’t resolved by our next release, we will have to revert back to an older version in a future release. Until then, the beta version listed in the other forum post is a workaround to use.

Thanks,
Kyle

Hello @Kyle_Day,

I bumped the versions of ThinkGeo for my Xamarin Forms app and I saw no change from what I stated above in the first post. :frowning:

The specific versions are:
ThinkGeo.UI.XamarinForms Version=“13.0.0-beta224”
ThinkGeo.UI.XamarinForms.Android Version 13.0.0-beta250
ThinkGeo.UI.XamarinForms.iOS Version 13.0.0-beta241

Can you advise if these are the versions that do not have the SkiaSharp issue?
Should I be on another version set to workaround this issue?

Hope you can assist.
Cheers
Chris …

Hey @Chris_Marassovich1,

What version is ThinkGeo.Core? Make sure that it is also set to the latest beta version and you should be good to go.

Thanks,
Kyle

Thanks for the quick response @Kyle_Day.

That ThinkGore NuGet is brought in by one of the other NuGets as a dependency, right?

It is not part of the doco I am looking at so my question is on which Xamarin Project are you referring to?

I will assume the Forms project and I have set the ThinkGeo.UI.XamarinForms 13.0.0-beta224 (latest at time) and that has pulled in the dependency ThinkGeo.Core at 13.0.0-beta366.

Are you suggesting I manually pull in ThinkGeo.Core for the Forms project?
From what I can see on the NuGet Manager that is the latest ThinkGeo.Core beta366

Cheers
Chris …

Hey @Chris_Marassovich1,

Yes, all of the ThinkGeo.UI.XXX packages require the ThinkGeo.Core package. So every project that uses one of the UI packages should have at least an implicit reference to the ThinkGeo.Core package.

If ThinkGeo.Core at 13.0.0-beta366, then you should also see that SkiaSharp is at v2.80.2. As in prior versions, it was using a newer version of SkiaSharp where this issue occurs. Can you confirm that your package manager shows that and the build files also reflect that version?

Thanks,
Kyle

Morning @Kyle_Day.

Is it possible that your Xamarin builds are not using the same numbers as the other platform targets?
As you can see from the image below Core is using SkiaSharp 2.80.3.
I assume this is pulling that info from the NuGet spec itself?

Cheers
Chris …

ThinkGeoVersion

Hey @Chris_Marassovich1,

I think Nuget is trying to adhere to the >= rule there and automatically upgraded to a later revision number:

But as you can see, in our csproj, we refer to 2.80.2 explicitly:

You should be able to downgrade that in your application’s nuget. If not, we might be able to set an explicit version in an update.

Thanks,
Kyle

afternoon @Kyle_Day.

I have been away from this issue for some 20 odd days but I have now been able to circle back to it.

I note that you now have beta-228 out and I was hoping … but sadly, it does not address this issue.

So I followed your suggestion and directly referenced SkiaSharp in my project.
I noted it is at 2.88.3 and I tried that version. That did not resolve the issue.
I then went to downgrade it to 2.80.2 and I was unable to do that. Telerik UI for Xamarin has a >= 2.80.3

Screenshot 2022-11-01 161311

I cannot do anything about Telerik … do you have a suggestion on how to resolve this so I can use your map?

Regards
Chris …

Hey @Chris_Marassovich1,

I pushed up a change today that should solve this issue. It should be available on Nuget by sometime tomorrow. It’s experimental and might have a little performance bump but shouldn’t be too bad.

Thanks,
Kyle

Morning @Kyle_Day,

Yes, I took beta229 and it is working well. Thank you.
You are correct there is quite a delay before the map tiles are rendered. But working correctly is preferred over quickly not working. :slight_smile:

Any idea when this fix may find its way to a non beta release?

Cheers
Chris …

Hey @Chris_Marassovich1,

Good to hear that it’s working. Once we get a fix from SkiaSharp later, I think the performance will improve.

We should have a non-beta release coming soon. In fact, we’ll most likely be releasing it as version 13, which we are working on releasing this month. No different than where we are with the beta releases, just with a few bugfixes like yours and backend changes.

Thanks,
Kyle